Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Biography

I am the Library Media Specialist at Houston High School in the Mat-Su Valley. I've taught in the Mat-Su Borough School District for 6 years, 5 of them at HHS. Before that I taught at Wasilla Middle School for 1 year as a Social Studies and Language Arts teacher. In addition to my library licensure I'm also certified grades 5-12 in Social Studies. I am originally from small town Northern Minnesota and moved to Alaska shortly after graduating from The College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, MN.

In addition to being the school librarian I also advise Student Government at my school and this year I am teaching a Leadership course to 10 class officers in grades 10-12. Our student body president helped get our school's closed circuit T.V. system operational last year and students began doing weekly video broadcasts from the library. I'm eager to start incorporating digital storytelling into my Leadership class and getting students to create their own digital stories for broadcast in our school.

I started working on my master's in Educational Technology in the summer of 2007 through UAS and first learned about Digital Storytelling in a course I took in June in which we had to create some digital stories.

On a personal note I have 2 children, Erik who is almost 2 and Aurora who just started Kindergarten this week and I just got married this past summer in July.

No comments: