Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Educational Philosophy

My Educational Philosophy Movie:
http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=658ddbbb3c1cae93603e

What obstacles did you encounter in producing your media piece?
I was faced with a few technical obstacles in producing my teaching philosophy video. Most of them were quirks in Windows Movie Maker some of which I was able to resolve, others that I still do not understand. I had to recreate my whole piece twice because after saving, closing and re-opening my project I would find that all my pictures wouldn’t show up.


How did I overcome this?
I discovered that this was because I had scanned them and saved them on a flash drive and started making my project using those images but then later decided to save my images, along with all my other media like music and voice over narration to a folder entitled Ed Philosophy. Once I had all my media saved in the same folder and inserted them from Windows Movie Maker into my project they saved correctly.
I also had an issue with a setting in Windows Media Player that showed all my pictures in psychedelic bright colors. I’m sure it has something to do with some setting I have in WMP but I have been unable to figure it out through the help menus.


What did I learn in the process?
After this project I’ve had experience using both iMovie & Windows Movie Maker with varying results. I would have to say I prefer iMovie, it is much more user friendly with little outside technical expertise needed. I struggled to get Movie Maker to do what I wanted it to and found the help menu to be less than helpful but because I am in a PC-only district I made a strong effort to overcome my obstacles and learn some of the basics so I can use Movie Maker in the classroom. Completing a project like this with high school students would take some advanced planning and careful time management and practice adding different media to the project.

How will I use a project like this with my own students?
A simple media project I would like to attempt with my high school students in my Leadership class is to guide them in creating a 1 minute video describing what kind of leader they see themselves as, using only digital pictures and maybe some music. I’d like to start small and simple with my first project with students because I know now how frustrated I got with my first time using Movie Maker & I want to show them one feature at a time and guide them in putting together their movie over the course of 2 weeks or so. I believe starting small will build my confidence with using digital video in the classroom and provide my students with the experience of creating a digital media piece that they can use later for jobs or college admission.

No comments: