Who comes to mind when you think of the word leader?
- Presidents
- Heads of state
- C.E.O.'s
- Dictators
- Elders
- Banevolent
- Inspiring
- Honest
- Respected
- Intelligent

Assignment:
This project is one that I designed for a Leadership class but it could easily be adapted for any social studies curriculum. The learning goal I have for students is for them to reflect in a digital story, on what they think a good leader is, provide some examples of leaders that inspire them and use that to uncover what leadership qualities are most important in their own lives.
Students, create your own story answering the questions:
- What does it mean to be a leader?
- What kind of leader am I?
Your digital story will be assessed with the rubric below.
Assessment Rubric:
Point of View & Audience Awareness
Strong awareness of audience in the design. Students can clearly explain why they felt the vocabulary, audio and graphics chosen fit the target audience.
5 4 3 2 1
Duration of Presentation
Movie was no shorter than 3 minutes and no longer than 4 minutes.
5 4 3 2 1
Images
Images create a distinct atmosphere or tone that matches different parts of the story. The images may communicate symbolism and/or metaphors.
5 4 3 2 1
Voice Pacing
The pace (rhythm and voice punctuation) fits the story line and helps the audience really "get into" the story. Narrator does not speak too fast or too slowly for the story line.
5 4 3 2 1
Credits
All non-original sources including images, video, music and print references are cited at the end of the movie.
5 4 3 2 1
Reflection:
After completing this project myself, I found that it really helped me understand what leadership means to me and how I put my leadership skills into daily practice. I would like students to have this same experience and share it with their peers to help them understand what kind of leaders they aspire to be. Since there is no real "right" answer to "What does it mean to be a leader?" students can have the freedom to explore their own convictions and ideas and customize their answer to fit them individually within the format of a Digital Story.
I personally found the visual portrait of a story (VPS) hard to draft since my story wasn't your typical fictional tale or even documentary. When working with students I would spend some time before production discussing leadership and having them free-write about what they think leadership means and what leaders have inspired them before moving on to a storyboard. Having students complete a storyboard before production I have found keeps them more focused and helps them stick with a storyline that flows easily from one part to the next.
In regards to the production of my digital story I did not have a clear vision about how the story would develop or what I would use for images until I did some preliminary searching on the web about Leaders and Leadership. I think this is part of the reason why I had such trouble drafting a VPS. In the end, I feel this was a fun and personally insightful process for me and I look forward to making more digital stories in the future.
1 comment:
Janelle,
I really enjoyed your movie about being a leader. The questions you posed are guidelines that students can readily use - and your rubric was very realistic. I also thought the graphic design was very appealing. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment